Travel to Ireland

30/04/2013 -- Admin
Share this: 
Rate this: 
Average: 5 (2 votes)

Blarney Stone, Guinness, Dublin, O'Connell Street, the craic, sailing, hurling, Ring of Kerry, cycling, Dingle Peninsula, walking, Book of Kells, hiking, mountains, camping, Giant’s Causeway, beaches, angling, coves, pubs, countryside, water sports, castles, Galway, Killarney, lakes, Cliffs of Moher, Kilkenny, hillwalking, shamrock, horse riding, fishing, dolphin watching, golf, sea fishing, Irish stew …

Medical and Health

Documents needed: EHIC and passport.

Doctors and Dentists

Doctors:  UK residents who fall sick or are injured on holiday in the Republic of Ireland are entitled to the same free or discount treatment as locals from doctors in the Primary Care Reimbursement Service (PCRS) scheme.

If the doctor refers you to a consultant for specialist treatment, make it clear you don’t want to be treated as a private patient. 

If you see a specialist consultant privately, the costs aren’t covered by the E.H.I.C (European Health Insurance Card), previously known as the E111 Form.

Dentists:  Emergency dental treatment, including denture repair, is available from any dentist contracted to the public health service.

Hospital Treatment and Ambulance Costs

In emergencies go straight to the A&E unit of any public hospital. There’s no charge for EHIC holders.

Travelling to Ireland specifically for medical treatment isn’t covered by the EU medical card or standard travel insurance policies.

Ambulance:  Free of charge in emergencies, otherwise you may be charged if you don’t have a doctor’s referral.


Prescribed medicines must be dispensed by a doctor within the PCRS and your prescription should state that the medicine is to be provided free of charge.

The EHIC card isn’t the same as having comprehensive travel insurance.  See What Can Go Wrong if in doubt about whether you need travel insurance for Ireland.


NHS Choices Ireland Guide

Foreign Office Travel Advice