Personal accident

12/06/2013 -- Mary Simpson
Share this: 
Rate this: 
Average: 4.7 (6 votes)

Getting seriously injured in an accident abroad is the last thing you want to happen.   Personal accident cover can provide financial compensation to soften the blow.

How much cover?

Standard travel inisurance benefit limits can vary from £1,000 to £50,000 for personal injury.

You - or your family, if you die in the accident - get a lump sum cash benefit depending on the severity of the injury (eg, loss of limb, eye, permanent disability). 

Usually under 16s and travellers over 69 get much less, eg £1,000 for the death of a minor.  Some insurers won’t pay for permanent total disability over the age of 49.

Not covered

  • Drink or drug-related accidents
  • Hazardous activities not listed in the policy
  • Taking part in activities without safety gear
  • Activities run by unlicensed operators

Some insurers won’t cover personal accident on adventure activities unless booked in the UK eg safari tour, camel trek, balloon ride.

An accident could worsen a pre-existing medical condition, eg arthritis, heart condition, diabetes

Claims relating directly or indirectly from a condition you already suffer from could be refused.

If you do claim, you must provide a medical certificate, independent witness report and death certificate/coroner’s report if applicable.

Also see Repatriation insurance.