Home | Travel | Business | Bookmark this site!
Business Insurance

Liability Insurance

Professional Indemnity Insurance

What is it?Why is it required?What is covered / excluded?Do I need it?
How much & costProfessional Indemnity Insurance Companies
Professional Indemnity Cover
Get Professional Indemnity Insurance Quotes with one simple form

How Do I Get Professional Indemnity Quotes?

Depending on the complexity of your individual needs and your turnover, you can buy a quote online in under 5 minutes.

If your needs are more complex, the best advice is to contact an independent insurance broker. You can search for a broker on the Institute of Insurance Brokers (IIB) website.

Companies that offer Professional Indemnity Insurance

Blyth Valley

Ipswich-based Blyth Valley Ltd come recommended by professional associations such as the Chartered Society of Designers and the Chartered Institute of Public Relations.

Founded in 1998, they specialise in insuring small to medium sized businesses including freelancers and independent contractors.

You can buy PI cover from them on its own, or as part of a package. Standard cover levels range from £25,000 to £2million which you can buy immediately online.

For cover up to £5million, you have to contact them direct for a tailored quote.

They appear to cover anyone who gives advice or who provides a professional service to clients, such as:

  • Accountants
  • Book-keepers
  • Business consultants
  • Designers
  • Environmental consultants
  • Event organisers
  • Feng shui consultants
  • Freelance teachers
  • Immigration consultants
  • Land & estate agents
  • Life coach
  • Marketing consultants
  • Ofsted inspectors
  • Recruitment consultants
  • Translators
  • Work permit consultants

Other insurance covers they offer to professionals are:

  • Public liability (£1m, £2m or £5m)
  • Employers' liability (£10m)
  • Portable electronic equipment (up to £25,000)
  • Office contents (up to £200,000)
  • Computer equipment (up to £200,000)

You can increase levels of cover on all of these but you need to contact them direct for a bespoke quote as opposed to being able to buy immediately.

Unless you specifically add on retroactive cover, you are only insured for claims taken out against you from the start of the policy.

You can pay the premium in interest-free monthly direct debit instalments.

Public indemnity policies are provided by Hiscox.

Coulson Pritchard

Cambridgeshire-based Coulson Pritchard Associates claim to cover more IT contractors than any other UK insurer, so we thought they were worth a second look.

Choose from five cover options up to a limit of £2m (maximum turnover £500,000 with no more than 5 employees) for £165 per annum (prices correct at May 2008).

Cover includes:

  • Breach of confidence
  • Employee dishonesty
  • Infringement of copyright/intellectual property rights
  • Fidelity Infringement of intellectual property rights
  • Libel and Slander
  • Loss of documents
  • Negligence or breach of duty of care
  • Negligent mis-statement or misrepresentation

Other professionals covered are:

  • Analysts
  • Analyst Programmers
  • Business Analysts
  • Change Management
  • Computer Programmers
  • CRM Systems
  • Database Consultants
  • Hardware Consultants
  • Network Communication Consultants
  • PC/Network Support Consultants
  • Programme Managers
  • Project Managers/Directors
  • Project Support Consultants
  • Quality Management
  • Security Consultants
  • Software Consultants
  • System Designers
  • System Architects
  • System Testers
  • Telecomms Consultants
  • Trainers
  • Website Designers

Core cover includes:

  • Professional Indemnity (£100,000 - £2million)
  • Public (£1m, £2m or £5m) & Employers (£5m or £10m) Liability
  • Legal Expenses (up to £50,000)
  • Accident & Sickness

You're eligible for backdated cover on all Professional Indemnity policies (ie for claims taken out against you before you bought cover). Some insurers charge extra for this.

Coulson Pritchard also insure the following professionals:

  • Construction Contractors
  • Consulting Engineers
  • Creative/New Media professionals
  • Interim & Management Consultants
  • Recruitment Agencies
  • Social Workers
  • Solicitors/Legal professionals

Apply online atcoulsonpritchard.com.


Endsleigh's Professional Indemnity Insurance is suitable for most professionals looking for protection against claims from clients.

Professions covered include:

  • Accountants
  • Architects
  • Engineers
  • Financial advisers
  • Graphic designers
  • Insurance consultants


Hiscox was Established in 1901 Hiscox is a leading specialist insurer, offers policies for people-based professionals ranging from complementary therapists, counsellors, psychologists and psychotherapists right through to business consultants, life coaches and many others.


Zurich Professional is a leading provider of Professional Indemnity insurance. They insure solicitors, accountants and a wide range of other professions.



Towergate, the UK's largest independent general insurance broker, offer professional liability (sometimes called Professional Indemnity Insurance) cover for the following professionals:

Towergate's Professional Risks cover specialises in liability insurance for specific professions, including HR & Training, Business Advisers and the counselling, psychotherapy and hypnotherapy sectors.

Based in Leeds, they've been in the insurance business for over 95 years. towergateprofessionalrisks.co.uk.

  • Arts therapists
  • Business advisers
  • Counsellors, psychotherapists and hypnotherapists
  • Complementary therapists
  • Human resource consultants
  • Psychologists
  • Training providers
  • Management consultants

Discounts are available for members of professional associations such as

  • British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy
  • Complementary Medical Association
  • British Psychological Society
  • Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
  • Insurance for Business Consultants

Let's take one profession - psychology - as an example of what's available.

Say you're a UK-based psychologist (you must be a member of the British Psychological Society).

With a Towergate policy, you're covered against civil liabilities claims against you anywhere in the world (including America), regardless of the type of premises you work from (eg surgery, health centre, shared premises, rented room, from home or client location).

Cover includes:

  • Professional indemnity insurance from £1m or £2.5 million per claim (higher limits available)
  • Public liability insurance
  • Product liability insurance
  • Libel and slander insurance

You're also covered for claims made against you before you took out the policy (as long as you didn't know a claim was in the pipeline).

What insurers term 'Run Off Cover' is also in place ie the policy is active for three years following the final period of insurance if you stop trading/practising, retire, take a career break - or die!

It doesn't cover Employers Liability, though, so if you have staff, you'll have to buy a separate policy for this.

Policies are underwritten by AXA and Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance.

For an instant quote for the psychologist's professional liability insurance cover - or any of the other professions listed - you can apply online or visit the Towergate Professional Risks site at towergateprofessionalrisks.co.uk.

Tel: 0113 391 9598


Peacock Insurance Services specialise in both personal and commercial insurance policies. peacockinsurance.co.uk.

Helpful contacts

Association of British Insurers (ABI)

If you deal directly with an insurer you find online, check that they are a member of the Association of British Insurers (ABI).

British Insurance Brokers Association Consumer Helpline
0901 814 0015

Financial Services Authority Helpline
0845 606 1234

Institute of Insurance Brokers Enquiry Line
01933 410 003